The infertility workup consists of taking a detailed history and a clinical assessment. The history should consist of details about:
- Age of both the partners
- Any medical conditions like endometriosis, polycystic ovarian disease etc.
- History of prior mumps infection in the male partner
- Conditions like diabetes or thyroid hormone problems.
- Prior use of any birth control methods.
- Duration of marriage and whether they have been together since marriage. If the husband's or wife's occupation keeps them separate for long durations of time, making sexual intercourse irregular, that too needs to be noted.
- Any difficulty in intercourse - pain, bleeding etc.
- Use of alcohol or nicotine.
Infertility can be due to problems in either the male partner or the female partner or both.
Causes of female infertility:
- Lack of ovulation - All women produce an egg (ovum) once a month - the process is called ovulation and it occurs approximately 14 days from the first day of the last period. Fertilzation of the ovum by a male sperm after sexual intercourse causes a prregnancy. Lack of ovulation is a common cause of female infertility.
- Blocked fallopian tubes
- Problems in the genital tract like tumors.
Causes of male infertility:
- The commonest cause for male infertility is low sperm count in the semen.
- Obstruction in thhe genital tract.
- Sexual problems like impotence.
Diagnostic tests for Infertility
The main tests for infertility are:
- Hysterosalpingography (HSG) - This test checks for the patency (open or unobstructed) of the fallopian tubes. An obstructed tube will prevent the male sperm from reaching the ovum and fertilizing it.
- Semen analysis of the male partner
- Ultrasound of the uterus and ovaries and other parts of the female reproductive system.
- Blood tests (for both male and female partner) for the level of thyroid hormones and blood sugar levels.
- Tests for the Serum prolactin hormone in the female partner.
Treatment for Infertility
Treatment for infertility depends on the cause. Ovulation can usually be stimulated by medicines like clomiphene citrate.
Artificial reproductive techniques (ART) like In-vitro fertilization (IVF or test-tube babies) have become simpler and cheaper with better success rates.
Dr. Madhumita Das Mazumdar, MD(O&G)
Senior Consultant Gynecologist,
House No 7, Trinayan Path,
Opp Ascent Academy,Beltola Tiniali
Opp BSNL Office, Lachit Nagar,
Near Bora Service Petrol Pump, Ulubari
Phone - +919954056516